- Olive oil, to grease
- 2 (about 300g) carrots
- 1 cup (150g) self-raising flour
- 1/2 cup (75g) plain flour
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup (80g) brown sugar
- 3/4 cup (185ml) olive oil
- 1/2 cup (125ml) golden syrup
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 250g spreadable cream cheese
- 1/2 cup (80g) icing sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
- Step 1
Preheat oven to 170C or 150C fan-force. Grease a 20cm (base) round cake pan lightly with oil, and line with non-stick baking paper. Peel and grate the carrots, and set aside. Sift the flours, bicarbonate of soda and cinnamon into a large bowl.
- Step 2
Put the brown sugar, oil, golden syrup, eggs and vanilla in a separate bowl. Use a balloon whisk to mix until combined.
- Step 3
Pour the oil mixture into the dry ingredients. Use a wooden spoon to stir gently until just combined. Stir in the grated carrot.
- Step 4
Pour the mixture into the pan and bake for 1 hour. Set aside for 5 minutes, before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Step 5
To make the icing, place the cream cheese, icing sugar and vanilla in a bowl. Use a wooden spoon to mix until well combined.
- Step 6
Spread the icing over the cake.
Note: Store the cake in an airtight container for up to 3 days. You can freeze the un-iced cake wrapped in plastic wrap then in foil for up to 1 month.
Please share your pictures or advises of your carrot cake!